To laugh often and much;

To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of people;

To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;


To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;

To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived

This is to have succeeded.

-Bessie Stanley & Ralph Waldo Emerson


Friday, January 21, 2011

23 weeks

As I write this, I reflect on how I am nearly 24 weeks, and the longer I am pregnant, the more the weeks tend to blur together. Hence, my blogging every 7-10 days has waned and when people ask me "how are you feeling?" I tend to come up with a pat answer of, "I'm feeling fine, thanks."

Which, all things considered, is the truth; it really is. Baby is kicking so often these days that I can hardly sleep at night and it is often distracting while I try to pay attention to lecture or study A & P. I wish I could honestly say that, oh, I just LOVE when baby kicks, but I really find it annoying at times. (I feel guilty even saying that at times.) It's hard getting used to a little somebody inside of me moving around! I was told long before I even was married or pregnant that when babies move in utero, it feels like butterfly wings. I have nothing to compare this pregnancy to, but I certainly do feel like this little one is assertive. Right now baby is sleeping, but- knock on wood- things could change by the end of this blog post.

I continue to have changes in my tastes for food. I'll make the same recipes I enjoyed or a recipe I know I would've enjoyed if I wasn't pregnant, and I just won't taste the same. For example, last night I made a huge recipe of chicken enchiladas- about 24 of them in all...for 2 people. (Sometimes, I get a little gung ho when meal-planning because I try to stretch out the recipes I make as long as possible.) Not only was it a little too spicy (and our spice tolerance is pretty high for white people), it JUST DIDN'T TASTE RIGHT. On Sunday nights when I was in college, PLU's cafeteria would make THE SAME THING. EVERY. SINGLE. SUNDAY NIGHT. Classic Sunday night dinner, they called it: rolls, pork tenderloin, some green vegetable blah blah blah. Gross. No wonder I gained all that weight eating ice cream for dinner. I remember not wanting to eat what they had in the cafeteria, but still being hungry...only I didn't know for what. It was like my senses were so dulled by mediocre food, I didn't know what I wanted to eat. Now my sense of taste has been dulled by pregnancy hormones so that I can't even cook as well as I used to or really want to eat what I cooked. All I know is I wish I would stop craving ice cream. I find myself apologizing to my husband for spending our grocery budget making meals I am really not looking forward to eating. He is a trooper, but I don't know if he can choke down all those spicy enchiladas.

Not only is my husband a champ when it comes eating my poorly prepared meals, he is trying to bear with me as I wrestle my way into a comfortable sleeping position each night. I first realized at about 10 or 11 weeks with all the funny feelings I was having that I couldn't sleep on my tummy (as often) as I used to. Now I really can't sleep on my tummy like I was accustomed to because I am just too big and baby moves too much anyway. According to Joe, I am a "furnace". It's January, and we typically have our down comforter on and the heat turned up. Now, I am not only thrashing around because I can't get comfortable, I also am too hot. I need the heater turned down and forget the down comforter!

(I suppose the next logical thing would be to talk about my raging hormones, but I won't subject you to that. Heaven only knows how Joe has had to lovingly endure this part of pregnancy.)



No comments:

Post a Comment