To laugh often and much;

To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of people;

To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;


To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;

To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived

This is to have succeeded.

-Bessie Stanley & Ralph Waldo Emerson


Thursday, April 19, 2012

Fargo, here we come...

Just once in while, it sure is nice to have something work out in your favor.

Yesterday, about a quarter after 2 in the afternoon, I heard my cell phone vibrating on the kitchen table. Upon walking over, I picked it up and immediately read the caller was from the 218 area code. Moorhead, MN. Where Concordia College is.

After initial pleasantries, I learned the caller was Dr. Polly Kloster, dean of the school of nursing. She offered me a spot in the accelerated cohort starting in 2 1/2 weeks. I immediately accepted.

I wish I could say I jumped up and down or screamed or had some slightly undignified response, but I calmly replied, "Yes, I'd love to!" My sober answer betrayed my internal excitement which had been too afraid to bubble up since I got a letter a month ago informing me I was an alternate. Although we felt our hearts and minds preparing for a cross-country move since last October when I first heard about the program, to be honest, we began to lose hope with every day that passed there wasn't a congratulatory letter in the mailbox. Nonetheless, we set about making two sets of plans- one if we stayed in Tacoma and one if we moved to Fargo/Moorhead.

It is SO rewarding when you actually get to see your faith be rewarded. That phone call changed our lives in so many ways. It was in some ways a bridge uniting my research about programs, prerequisite coursework, and work as a CNA over the past (nearly) 5 years to an ACTUAL program. I have jealously looked at many a nursing school website's photos of their students donning clinical attire, stethoscopes draped around their neck, examining dummies. Aaaaahhhh...At long last, I going to actually BE the one in the photo.

I remember when the seed to become a nurse was planted in my heart several years ago. It really did feel like a prompting from God because in many ways, it just didn't make sense, it was risky, and I was afraid of everyone making fun of the art major pursuing nursing. It would require MAJOR faith in Him to direct my steps. Yes, I did endure criticism, there were times I never thought I'd make it through A & P being pregnant or the acrimony of microbiology, and I chaffed at the thought of working shift after shift at Manorcare doing humble CNA work. I heard story after story of my classmates and acquaintances applying to school after school in hopes of getting into not only nursing school, but any pre-professional healthcare program. I've never been a stellar student, just good enough to keep my grades up to where it pleases those I wish it to please (ie the faculty at nursing school). I remember praying for the words to write on the admissions essays and for two good recommendations. I had no idea how the pieces would come together, but they all did. ALL OF THEM.

I'll be writing more later on about our move...

1 comment:

  1. Katy, You write with beauty, grace, and an honesty of faith that affirms my deep love and admiration for you. You made an immediate and powerful impression on me the first time I met you, and I knew my beloved nephew Joe would be most blessed if you were to become his wife. I thank and praise our loving, gracious God for this wonderful blessing, both for you and for all whose whose lives you will bless by your faithful ministry of healing. Love, Randy

    ReplyDelete